We’ve been in the commercial roofing business for more than two decades. We’ve see a lot over the years and know a thing or two about good commercial roof installation and upkeep. To the untrained eye, the process looks simple enough from the ground. But that’s deceptive.
There as much craftsmanship and skill needed to properly care for a flat roof as some of the most interesting looking roofs you see on homes today.
Five of the most common problems we encounter with flat commercial roofing are:
- Leaking – Drainage angles are more subtle than a pitched roof.
- Poor Installation – Get the angles wrong and there will be trouble.
- Lack of Maintenance – Wind, rain, hail, and even time take their toll on the best roofs.
- Pooling of Water – Assuming it was property installed, as the roof ages, problem areas can develop.
- Improper Repairs – Do it right, or don’t spend the money. Taking an aspirin for a broken bone might relieve the pain a little, but it doesn’t fix the problem.
A challenge for owners of structures with flat commercial roofs is that inspection can be difficult, if not impossible, for the owner. Even when you can make your way to the roof, knowing what to look for can be tricky. Seeing a dry roof, or one without visible dips, does not necessarily indicate a healthy roof.
Some of the things we focus on when looking at commercial flat roofs include:
- Inspect all rubber plumbing boots and replace as needed.
- Inspect all attic vents for cracking, flaking and metal rusting.
- Inspect for animal damage or roof penetration.
- Inspect shingles for curling, cupping, flaking, tearing, splitting and blistering.
- Check for buckled roof decking.
- …and more.
Regardless of who you hire to replace, repair, or maintain your commercial roof, there are a couple questions you should alway ask.
What is the Certification Process?
Is your contractor certified to put on the type of roof you need? Not every roofer is. It’s important to know your roofer can handle the job well, and that they will stand behind the work.
What is the Warranty Process?
We often think of a warranty as something you pay a little extra money for at check out. A commercial roofing warranty is a little different. You want to make sure the roofer stands behind the work, but you also want to make sure the manufacturer of the product used stands behind their product.
Even though we are certified, we also adhere to an exceptional warranty process. Our manufacturer will come to the job site and inspect the work. Most times, we pass with flying colors. Occasionally though, the inspector will find something that’s not quite right with how the product was installed. When humans are involved, mistakes can be made. We correct the issue immediately and confirm with the inspector that the roof now meets all quality standards. At Land Enterprises Roofing, we stand behind our work from start to finish, and beyond!
With the added inspection (insuring the warranty will be valid) the property owner can rest easy knowing his/her new roof meets the standards required…not only for our manufacturer, but also for the insurance company.
Do you have questions, concerns, or need a certified professional to take a look at your roof? Give us a call today!
Get in touch to get started on your roof today. We are happy to answer any of your questions. Feel free to schedule your free roof inspection as well.