Have you ever submitted a home insurance claim just for the insurance company to deny it? Talk about frustrating! Recently, we had a customer whose insurance claim was rejected, so they reached out to us for help. This made us realize that many homeowners don’t know when to file an insurance claim or what to do if that claim is denied.
When to file a homeowner’s insurance claim
Before even filing a claim, you want to make sure it’s worth filing a claim because your insurance policyholder may deny it.
To determine if the damage is worth filing a claim, you need a reliable, knowledgeable roofer to come and inspect. If your roofer decides it’s worth filing a claim for, it’s time to file an insurance claim.
How to file a homeowner’s insurance claim
As a homeowner, it’s important to know how the insurance process works. Your situation may vary depending upon damage and your insurance company.
- Contact your insurance company. Your policyholder will ask questions and go over what is covered by your policy.
- Fill out proper claim forms. Once you speak with your policyholder, you will have to fill out the appropriate claims form. Be sure you send the forms back on time to ensure the process goes more smoothly and quickly.
- Wait for the insurance adjuster. Your insurance company will send an adjuster to your home to inspect any damage. Make sure your roofer is there during the adjuster’s inspection. Your adjuster will then evaluate the damage and determine whether or not the damage is severe enough to be covered.
- If your claim is approved, you’ll get an estimate on repairs as well as a timeframe. Temporary repairs may be made until the problem can be fully fixed.
What to do when a homeowner’s insurance claim is denied
Any insurance claim you make will get investigated by an adjuster. Sometimes, adjusters will deny your claim after their investigation. This can be very frustrating for homeowners, and it’s understandable. Damage can be expensive, but here are a few things you can do if the claim is denied.
- Escalate the claim by asking for another adjuster and re-inspection
- Switch insurance companies
- Pay out of pocket for the damage
We always stress to our customers that they need to be sure the damage is bad enough for an insurance claim. Have a reliable roofer In your corner to argue your case to the adjusted if need be. We understand that the insurance process can be overwhelming and frustrating, but when you work with Land Enterprises Roofing, we help you through the process.
Get in touch to get started on your roof today. We are happy to answer any of your questions. Feel free to schedule your free roof inspection as well.